Monday, November 7, 2011

Meet Spot

So we decided to get another puppy..actually, Kaylee and I decided and John finally agreed. We havent had the best luck with past dogs for one reason or another but we decided to try again. The type of dogs John and I wanted were completly opposite so we have been tring to compromise for a while. I wanted (and still do) a big dog and he wanted no dog but was willing to settle for a small dog. I like small dogs but I think they are harder to train and also worry about the kids hurting them, but I figured for now a small dog was better than no dog!! So John found someone on craigslist giving away a little rat terrier/boston terrier mix and he thought it was adorable..he showed me and of course I agreed we should get him. So a week and a half ago we brought home Spot.



Spot was a few days shy of 7 weeks when we brought him home (he is 8 weeks today). Most puppies do not leave their mom until they are at lesat 8 weeks but Spots had to be seperated from his mom because she was trying to attack the puppies. We brought him home and he has really been doing great. I have been reading a lot about the correct ways to train a puppy and have found some really useful things on the internet.


Spot is doing great with his housetraining. He has only had 1 accident in the house since we got him..that is because he is only allowed to walk around the house when he has just went to the bathroom and I am still watching him like a hawk. We have decided to train him to go potty on puppy pads on the porch instead of going outside because it is getting cold and I am not a big fan of going outside in the middle of the night. He is doing great going pee on the puppy pad but will go poop anywhere on the porch he pleases (at least its on the porch and easy to clean up and not in the house)


I have read about how important it is to make your dog understand that you are the leader and he will learn what it is that you expect from him. Spot has already learned at his young age to sit, and stay until I tell him to come. He has also learned that he has to sit at the door and wait until I tell him he can come in from the porch.


Today i took Spot outside for the first time. I have been reading that it doesnt matter how much you play and exercise the dog that nothing will compare to the amount of physical and mental exercise the dog gets when going for a walk. I learned that the dog must learn to walk beside or behind you, never in front and never pulling on the leash. We went for 2 walks today and on the second walk Spot had no problem with walking behind me. I have noticed a big difference in Spot since he got to go out and walk today. He has been much calmer in the house and didnt whine at all when he had to go into his crate.


When its to cold for Spot to go be on the porch and I can't watch him closely in the house he goes into his crate. He also goes into his crate when we leave the house. He whined at first in the crate but each day he gets better and better with being it in. Tonight is the first night he is sleeping in the crate. I have been sleeping on the couch with him since we got him because I was afraid he would whine and wake the kids but I decided since he is doing better in his crate we will try it out tonight and see how he does. So far so good!


Kaylee absolutly LOVES Spot..she is constantly wanting to hold him and play with him and she hears me trying to trach him things and she wants to help me. She is very good with him but is a little rougher than I would like her to be. Sometimes she doesnt realize he is a real little puppy not a toy lol. Kyle started out scared of the dog..he would scream any time the dog would jump up on him (another thing we are working with Spot on) but not he loves the puppy too. The first thing he says when he wakes up is "dog dog" and goes looking for Spot.


Overall Spot has been a good little pup so far and I hope he will continue to do good and be a good dog so he can stick around for a while :)

0 comments: